The United States Virgin Islands (USVI) is more than just an ideal tourism destination in the Caribbean with its pristine beaches, wonderful sunshine, great duty-free shopping, and intriguing historic monuments. It is also the ideal location for doing business and maximizing your company's profits.
The USVI offers a very unique tax incentives program for qualified businesses through the Economic Development Authority and its Economic Development Commission or EDC Program. We encourage global companies in the areas of manufacturing, service businesses such as high-technology assembly plants, pharmaceuticals and outsourcing companies such as call centers as well as other qualified businesses to apply for tax incentives and benefits administered through the Economic Development Commission Program.
Our goal is to provide the necessary incentives to make your business expansion or relocation a reality.
Our general mandate is
- To promote the growth, development and diversification of the economy of the Virgin Islands
- To benefit the people of the Virgin Islands by discovering and developing the fullest possible extent the human and economic resources of the territory
- To establish capital and preserve job opportunities for residents of the Virgin Islands
- To promote capital formation for industrial development in the Virgin Islands
Benefits and advantages for businesses in the EDC program can be up to:
- 90% reduction in corporate income tax
- 90% reduction in personal income tax
- Reduction in the customs duty from the standard 6% to 1%
- 100% exemption on excise tax payments
- 100% exemption on business property tax
- 100% exemption on gross receipt tax
- Tax reduction on royalty income from software developed in the USVI and sold to non-US customers
- Availability of rental space at below market rates in the St. Croix and St. Thomas Industrial Parks
Investors in the U.S. Virgin Islands also enjoy:
- "Made in the USA" labeling
- A business-friendly environment
- An educated labor force
- U.S. currency, courts and flag protection
- World-class telecommunications
- Easy air access to and from the United States, South America, Europe and other Caribbean Islands
- Duty free, quota free exporting of USVI-made goods into the United States
- Immigration advantages
- Shipping advantages
- Availability of prime rental space
Other USVI Advantage
Jones Act Exemption: The U.S. Virgin Islands is exempt from the Jones Act, a cabotage law which requires freight moving between U.S. ports to be carried on U.S. flag vessels. Freight between U.S. ports (including Puerto Rico) and the V.I. may be carried on foreign flag vessels.
It is also our mission to encourage and assist in the creation, development and expansion of business and industry. By locating your business or qualified portion thereof to the Virgin Islands, you may be eligible to receive the above-listed tax incentives for your business for a period ranging from ten to thirty years.
We encourage you to peruse this site for additional information on qualifying and applying for benefits under our program, and we look forward to serving you!